ABBEYVILLE House Bed & Breakfast is nestled just meters from the center of the picturesque North Cork town of Fermoy and on the banks of the imposing River Blackwater.
A ‘boutique’ B&B, Abbeyville House is operated by Sean and Mary Lomasney and is one of the most historic buildings in Fermoy town, built in 1841 and was the subject of a remarkable restoration program in 2005. Abbeyville House has achieved many awards including the top honours of a Five Star Rating from Failte Ireland (Ireland’s Tourist Board) and is listed on many top guides such as Georgina Campbell’s Ireland.
Offering all the comforts of home and modern conveniences any business traveller or holidaymaker could ask for, the house’s true secret is its location for accommodation in Fermoy.
Located directly across the road from the beautiful town park at Abercromby Place, the B and B is within sight of the River Blackwater which is famed worldwide for its fishing and angling as well as its boating activities. In fact, such is the reputation of the Blackwater that it was dubbed “the Irish Rhine” in the 18th Century.
Abbeyville House is also located on the Blackwater Way (the combined Duhallow and Avondhu Ways) walking route that stretches from the borders of west County Waterford across north County Cork and into the County of Kerry, following the valley of the River Blackwater. It is part of the European E8 route.
Abbeyville House is ideally located for all the major attractions in Fermoy, close to and within easy walking to Fermoy GAA, Rugby, Soccer and Pitch and Putt Clubs as well as being adjacent to the Avondhu Way which forms part of the Munster way walking trail, Corrin Hill and Barnane`s leafy walks and slightly further afield, after an easy drive to Cork itself (Blarney Castle, Fota Island Wildlife and Golf Coarse, Cobh Heritage Centre, Cork city Jail, Midleton home of the famous Jameson Distillery and Gourmet and sailing town of Kinsale).The local bus stops and taxi service are within easy walking distance of the front door.
The House is also located in the heart of some of the best and most fertile region of Munster and has a huge agricultural tradition with dairy farms abundant as well as some of the finest stud farms in the country and is only a short drive from Cork Racecourse which is located in Mallow.
The location is also very attractive to business guests who may want to visit such places as An Teagase (the Agricultural Institute) in Moorepark, Sanmina SCI, Micro Bio Ireland, Silver Pale Dairies, Veolia Environmental Services and many other businesses in the area. The house is ideally suited to anyone who will be visiting the Corrin Events Centre at Cork Marts in Fermoy.
The House is also just a few minutes walk from some renowned restaurants which offer fine French (La Bigoudenne), Italian (Bella Café), Chinese (Hong Kong, Happy Chan), Thai (Thai Lanna), Indian (Raj) and Irish (Grand Hotel & Forge Restaurant) cuisine and if all that dining brings on a thirst, some of the best pubs in Ireland are within easy reach of Abbeville’s door.
Sean and Mary also take pride in the warm Irish welcome accorded to guests and the advice and facilities they can provide to ensure even the most demanding of trips or the most last minute of holidays becomes as memorable as it is enjoyable.
Whatever your needs or travel plans, Sean and Mary at Abbeyville House aim to prove itself one of the best stopovers on your itinerary.
All major credit cards are accepted on your departure.
Abbeyville House was built in 1841 by Mathias Hendley who was the agent for the local landlord, a Scotsman by the name of Sir Robert Abercromby. The house was built just 30 years after the modern town of Fermoy was established by another Scotsman and entrepreneur, John Anderson. Only a handful of structures in Fermoy – including Christchurch and St Patrick’s Church are older.
Abbeyville is one of a pair of houses built on the site which Hendley purchased from Sir Robert in 1839, hence the address Abercromby Place, with Riverdale House located just metres to the north. In the 1930s Abbeyville House, which was then called St. Annes was converted from a private dwelling to a private nursing and maternity home. In 1942 its operator Margaret Fitzgerald purchased the house outright form the descendants of the original owner, Matthias Hendley. Many of the local people have fond memories of the house as many of them and their siblings’ were born here during its time and it remained a Maternity home until the mid 1960s when the last baby born was delivered there in 1964.During this time they also performed minor operations on patients such as appendicitis and tonsillitis removals.
The property then changed hands in 1976 when Jeremiah O’Mahony turned the property into a guest house. Within a few short years it was then taken over in 1981 by John and Catherine Buckley who continued to operate it as a guest house and then in mid 2004, sold it to its present owners, Sean and Mary Lomasney. Sean is a noted handyman and he and his father, James Lomasney personally supervised the loving restoration of Abbeyville House to bring in back to its 19th century glory. They reopened the guest house in 2006 and have now established itself as a premier destination with holidaymakers and business clients alike.
Sean, Mary and the Lomasney family want you to feel at home at Abbeyville – because, well, it is their home too.
Sean is a native of Kilworth – just 6km from Fermoy – and Mary hails from Lisavaird, Clonakilty in West Cork. They live in the ground floor section of Abbeyville House along with their three children, Rachel, Emma, Michelle. The older girls are often seen in the hallways and dining rooms helping out with breakfast – so don’t be afraid to say ‘hello’ and get their advice on the best attractions locally. All three girls go to school in the local schools and are keenly involved in sport and are members of Fermoy GAA Club and Kilworth Tennis Club. Michelle the youngest girl is regularly heard in the lounge playing and practising her piano.
Sean and Mary are keen sailors and regularly races in club events in their nearby Club in Kinsale and Sean is also involved with Fermoy Rugby Club having played with them for many years and is currently a member of the club’s committee.
Fermoy is rightly considered one of Ireland’s most beautiful towns having made the most of its location astride the River Blackwater. Famed for its magnificent limestone bridge, the town is actually one of Ireland’s most modern having been established in its current form in the early 1800s.
However, segments of the town trace its history back over 1,000 years earlier to when St Finnchua founded a monastery locally in the 7th Century. A major Cistercian abbey was founded in Fermoy just off the current Barnane Walk in the early 12th century as the Norman influence was heavily felt in the area.
Fermoy was located in the territory of the O’Keeffe clan – and their coat of arms is now the official crest of Fermoy. In the 16th Century – following the Tudor’s dissolution of the monasteries the lands locally were awarded to Sir Richard Grenville a cousin of Sir Walter Raleigh who received his land grants in Youghal. However, Grenville sold off his lands a few years later to Sir Richard Boyle, the 1st Earl of Cork.
Until 1687, Fermoy had depended on either a wooden bridge or a ferry for river crossings but a 13 arch stone bridge arrived that year after being debated for decades.
After passing through inheritance to various families, the local lands finally arrived in the hands of Scots businessman, John Anderson.
The Scot had first arrived in Cork in 1780 and his business interests flourished. He became one of the pioneers of the mail coach network and Cork’s booming import and export business. He then purchased lands in Fermoy from the Forward family and never one to miss an opportunity, realised that Britain’s militarisation of Ireland following the French revolution meant new army bases and barracks would be needed in Ireland.
The British government were negotiating for land in Kilworth but were haggling over the price. Anderson, realising the opportunity, offered a land bank in Fermoy to the army free gratis. The offer was accepted and the Scot was in prime position to cash in on the army’s supply needs once the massive new barracks were completed. Two major barracks were constructed by 1809, but were destroyed in 1922. The old barracks is now the site of the Fermoy GAA and Pitch & Putt Club and the new barracks is now the site of the Rugby Club.
From being described as a humble village in the 1770s, Fermoy was now one of the most important towns in Cork and one of the fastest expanding in Ireland. Until Ireland’s independence, Fermoy remained one of the key British military installations in the entire country.
After the War of Independence, Fermoy was a key Irish military base until Fitzgerald Camp was finally closed as part of the defence cutbacks in 1998. The current Queen of Peace Catholic church was developed in the old Fitzgerald Camp chapel.
Today Fermoy is a thriving town with lots of business firms and visitor attractions such as military, ecclesiastic or even some sporting activities on the river Blackwater for some salmon fishing or perhaps a round of golf at the Fermoy Golf club.
Fermoy so long a key stop on the Dublin to Cork road was finally bypassed with the opening of the M8 motorway and new motorway bridge in 2006 and is now a heaven and undiscovered jewel in the Munster region.